SOS · · · – – – · · · Do You Need a True Custom Publisher Who Can Relieve You of Work You Don’t Need to Do?…
On November 3rd 1906, at the International Radiotelegraph Conference in Berlin, Germany, the famous SOS signal of three dots, three dashes and three dots was adopted as the international signal of distress. Since then, countless stories have surfaced of people around the world blinking, or using mirrors, sound, or lights to signal they were in trouble and initiate their rescue.
One of our favorite SOS rescues involved a man in the late 1980’s who ended up with a rope wrapped around his leg when he got caught in a wave during a whitewater trip in Colorado. He was raked over the rocks but fortunately for him, his son was able to reach him and cut him free. Unfortunately for him, he suffered a dislocated hip and fractured knee and pelvis. One of the group of rafters used a mirror to signal SOS into the sky using sunlight. Minutes later a jetliner flew by and saw the signal and radioed for help. A rescue helicopter was dispatched to check out the scene and transported the injured man to safety and treatment. Signal SOS – 10 Ways To Do It (askaprepper.com)
It was a happy ending for the injured man after all, thanks to someone on the trip who knew how to ask for help and reach a potential audience who could help.
Normally when we need help, we don’t have to resort to the international signal. We can just ask for it. And now that we are a few months into the fall semester you or your students might be wishing for a bit of it yourselves. For those of you who work with publishers who aren’t giving you the support you would like or for you DIYers, read on about everything a true custom publisher can do to relieve you of work you don’t need to do.
Unparalleled Service For You
Van-Griner Learning provides each class it handles a dedicated project manager that works with the instructors from product conception to delivery to ongoing support. Having a project manager doing the work instead of faculty is a massive time saver, especially for larger schools with lots of sections. Not only will the project manager oversee all aspects of the publishing process, but they will also keep the price down, are responsive, and provide an end-product that’s more student-friendly than what a camera-ready copy shop or LMS can offer.
Specific service tasks we take away from the busy instructor…
- We set up the course templates for print and digital material. As any instructor knows who has already done this themselves, setting up course templates takes time and design experience, something most instructors don’t have a lot of.
- We own our own printing presses and ample warehouse space, which allows us to print large quantities and store for the next term (saving students money) and conversely to quickly gap print when needed.
- For digital, we link content for automatic gradebook synchronization. Manual inputting is a big timewaster.
- We coordinate the LTI integration with your LMS coordinator and handle any software edits such as security or privacy.
- Other digital services we provide include… Generating and e-mailing codes to the students or bookstore, selling to your bookstore or selling to students directly from our website store, building assessments and work sharing into the platform, setting up the gradebook and the items to be graded, their grading scheme and weighting the responses, setting all the due dates in each class section, setting up all the instructor and TA sections, and handling announcements.
Specific product tasks we offer…
- For labs in general chemistry, A&P, and general biology, instructors can search our lab database to select what they want us to customize for them.
- We will work with instructor- or department-developed labs, add features, and customize.
- We help with…
- Image selection
- Developing questions, setting them up, and setting grading parameters
- We provide support and training in the beginning and all term long.
- We can provide print instructor manuals that guide teachers on how to use the materials in their course.
- We will train all TAs and instructors on how to use their digital platform.
- We’re a personal phone call or email away for instructors and students.
We’ve built our customer-centric publishing business on the feedback we’ve received from instructors, lab coordinators, and department administrators about what they want in their print and digital course materials. We’d like to hear from you too.
Van-Griner Learning Courseware
Van-Griner Learning Courseware is the one place a student needs to go for all their course needs. Integrated in one place, Courseware includes:
- All your content including text, lectures, notes, videos
- Quizzing and testing
- Homework and study problems
- A substantial cost savings to students
An all-in-one digital platform for STEM labs. With software tools designed specifically for labs, LabRight is ideal for pre-, in-, and post-labs, and for use with hybrid, virtual and face-to-face classes; you decide how much and where to implement digital. LabRight is easily integrated into an LMS for a seamless experience and customizable to match course outcomes. No more going it on your own and spending your valuable time piecing a solution together. We are your partner before and during the term to coordinate all aspects of your course, including LMS integration, in LabRight and to support instructors and students.
- Students arrive better prepared for lab
- The automatic grading feature frees up instructor’s time
- Class sections are more uniform
- Opportunities for cheating are curtailed
- Students are actively involved in learning, leading to better retention
- Actionable course metrics are available in real time
Contact Us (419-733-7951) For More Information!
Van-Griner Learning is a full-service, affordable, publisher of digital and print solutions. We unlock the power of publishing by designing affordable digital and print solutions to meet your specific needs. We provide Labs, Textbooks, Worktext, Homework, OER, Readers, Courseware and more!
> Learn More